Thursday, January 20, 2011

Get Rec'd: Day 1

What a busy day! After a looooong night of stuffing swag bags at the Rec for day one (yes, I worked till 10pm on my birthday), today kicked off the 5th anniversary of Get Rec'd. I assisted with games all day, from 11am-4pm and had a ton of fun. The Marketing team is so fun to work with. Anyway, I have a special place in my heart for the Ultimate Roadtrip Challenge (because I won it 4 years ago, the first year they had it) so that was the first game of the day. Ten teams were selected and hopped on stage.
Game one involved face muscles and oreos. If you've ever seen "Minute to Win It" you probably know what I'm talking about. Each member of each team had to move an oreo from their forehead to their mouth using only their face muscles, one team was eliminated.
With nine teams left the next game involved two pennies and a pair of panty hose. Each team member dropped a penny into the bottom of the panty hose and then put one arm into the top of the panty hose. When "go" was said, they could only use their one arm to retrieve their penny. Last team to retrieve their pennies was eliminated.
With eight teams remaining, it was time for the meatball challenge. This is where it got interesting, and kind of nauseating. Each team selected one member to eat as many meatballs in 60 seconds, blindfolded. Each plate had 10 meatballs and the non-eating teammate had to direct their partner to where the meatballs were. Now, one of the teams consisted of a female and a vegetarian male. Against our cautions, the male decided he was going to do the challenge. He was convinced he could do the challenge with ease...we were not so certain. So, the timer began and teams began chowing down. As predicted, the vegetarian began gagging and spitting out little chunks of meatball. When time elapsed, he stood from his chair and his face was gray. Disturbing. Then he was frantically searching for something.....hmm, what, I wonder. The trashcan was on the south side of the stage, but he ran to the north. I screamed at him, "NO! The other way!" He lost is lunch. Now, seriously...did you really think that wasn't going to happen? You don't eat meat! Needless to say, they were eliminated.
Seven teams remain. Now half of the people on the stage are stuffed full of meatballs, why not do a game than involves spinning around in circles several times? Sounds like a plan. Each team was given a roll of toilet paper. One team member stood with their arms at their sides and could not hold the tp in any way. With two minutes on the clock, the partner holding the tp had to wrap their partner in as much tp as possible. After two minutes was up, the wrapped up partner broke through and then began wrapping the other partner for another two minutes. Whomever had used the most tp advanced to the next level. And then there were six.
The last game of the day was messy. Each team was given 60 seconds to smear a bowl of peanut butter all over their partner's face and then get behind a line and throw as many cheeseballs at their face as possible. The team with the lowest number was the last team eliminated for the day. Play will resume tomorrow afternoon. The winners will receive an all-expense paid cruise to the Bahamas and $500 spending cash. Pretty sweet.

Other games consisted of Husker Trivia with the top prize being a new bike valued at $800. Other prizes were Smith sunglasses (which apparently are pretty nice), an autographed Tom Osborne poster, a Husker polo, among other things. Then they played Pepsi Olympics, where the winner chose between a Droid or a Blackberry Curve. He chose the Droid and was way psyched about it. It was fun to watch how excited this kid was. Tomorrow will bring some new games and new prizes, like laptops, cameras, etc. Get Rec'd is no joke peeps. We don't mess around. Go big or go home! Tons of fun!

To all you faithful 106.3 KFRX listeners out there, Lindsey is our emcee this year. What a great selection Deb made on that part. She's perfect for the job and a ball of energy. It's been super fun working with her! You listen to people on the radio, but it's just kind of nice to put a face with a name/radio personality. So, all in all, it was a successful day, I was zonked around 4pm. Ready for a nap, but no can do. Had to do a little work amongst all the fun.
---------------------
It snowed yesterday...I walked to my car after work to find it covered in about 2-3 inches of light fluffy snow. It was still snowing as I was walking, and it was the prettiest snowfall I've ever seen. It was like little light reflectors were falling from the sky. It was cool (ha ha, that's a pun). Then I found out I need new windshield wipers. That's one thing about being single that sucks. I can't just tell my boyfriend, "Honey, will you go buy me new wipers and put them on my car? Thanks!" So, I had to go to Walmart after work today and buy some. Luckily, they have these little handy-dandy books there that tells you what size to get according to the make, model, and year of your car. BUT, I got home and took my old ones of and am just hoping I put these on the right way. They're different than the others I had...how hard can it be? I'm kind of challenged in the automotive section, so who knows. I probably bought the wrong ones and now they're suck there forever. But, on a good note, I finally got my new insurance cards today. I recently switched to my own (wow!!) car insurance plan. Apparently when you turn 25 you just grow up and cut all cords from the parents. Anyway, I've been without proof of insurance for a week. Thanks State Farm, way to be on top of things.....oh well, now I've got them.

That's all for now, pumped for day 2 of Get Rec'd tomorrow. Tune in to see what funtivities happen tomorrow!

Until next time,
supinlincoln

No comments: